To download, right click here and then click “save as”: Transcendent Pursuits 2015
To listen, click the left side of the player.
The volume and frequency of emails offering to help make this our best year ever is tiring and numbing. And yet, we desire to live a life of transcendent pursuit.
We can wrestle with a feeling of complacency, wondering why I would want to take on anything else when I’m already overwhelmed with life, work and ideas that aren’t gaining much ground or fruitfulness.
- What does it look like to live in a manner worthy of my calling?
- Have I been treating my life as a hobby or a calling?
- What does it look like to live seriously with my calling?
“Stop reacting to life and start living with intention.”
Most of us create new year resolutions around weaknesses and will-power verses a desire or longing that we’ve overlook, forgotten or ignored. We want this year to contribute to the next, not simply be my “best year ever.”
“And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” Phil. 1:6 NLT
What certainty do you live with?
- The certainty that God has stored good things in you that you are to offer to the world?
“A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart…” Luke 6:45
- The certainty that God is continuing to develop “good things” in you?
“My Father is always working, and so am I.” John 5:17
When we pursue a desire, longing, interest, we may find confirmation that this is what we are to offer or it may lead us to the next, truer thing about our life and calling.
We all have the desire to live a transcendent life in the midst of the mundane.
Life is a pursuit, not an accomplishment.
Make this a year of trying things – with what you have and where you are.
Here are a few question that may stir your heart’s transcendent desires:
- Is there a craft, an artistry, a skill that you would like to gain, hone or master?
- One year from now, look back, what will you be so glad that you began to pursue?
- What is that one thing that you’ve always wanted to try that you think could make a difference for someone or something?
- If God said to you, “this one piece of My Kingdom is yours, now perfect and offer it”, what do you think that would be?
( Click here to go to the Podcast Post to read or leave a comment: Comments for this Podcast )
Blessings for the new year. I hope you read my book, ket me know what you think.
“Good Morning Brother Pilgrim”
Senor Tomas aka the Grand Poobah or the “old geezer”
Thanks guys, encouraging and challenging, I especially felt God pointing out that I need to make my calling more of a priority, less of a hobby.
Something I guess we all struggle with, to take it seriously, this is the life He has called us to, but ‘normal’ life calls us aside again and again.
One day I’m going to have to get to a retreat.